Tart cranberries and crunchy pecans give the stuffing flavor and texture.
1 chicken (one 5-6 lb roasting chicken)
3⁄4 c pecan nuts (chopped)
3 T butter
1 c sugar
1⁄4 c water
1⁄4 c orange (with peel, seeded and finely chopped)
1⁄2 c orange juice (or 1/4 cup orange liqueur)
- Mix sugar with water in a large saucepan, stirring over a medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add cranberries, orange with peel, and orange juice - or orange liqueur - and bring to a boil, stirring only occasionally.
- Once mixture is at a full boil, stir constantly until the cranberries burst and the mix thickens, about 7-10 minutes. Makes 1-2 pints
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C).
- Remove the giblets and the neck from the chicken. Under cold running water, rinse the chicken, and then pat dry.
- Make your stuffing with the cranberry-orange relish, pecans and 2 Tbs melted butter. Blend well.
- Stuff the chicken loosely with the pecan mix. Close the chicken with skewers, and tie the skewers with string.
- Place the chicken on a rack placed inside of a baking dish. Melt the reaming butter and brush over chicken.
- Roast the uncovered chicken for to 2 1/2 hours. If using a thermometer, roast until the internal temperature reaches 185° F (85° C). Baste with pan juices several times while baking.
- Allow chicken to cool for 15 minutes before carving.