Saag paneer is a type of paneer and spinach curry, very easy to prepare.The addition of other Indian spices and spinach gives a slightly different flavor to palak paneer.
- Blanch spinach until leaves begin to wilt, about 1 minute. Allow to cool and blend to pulp.
- If preferred, heat 1 Tbs in a pan and fry paneer until golden brown and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbs ghee in a pan. Add chopped onion and cook over a low heat, sitrring occasionally, until they begin to brown. Add ginger and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Onions should be golden brown.
- Add chili rings to the pan and stir a couple of times. Incorporate all spices and mix.
- Add paneer chunks and cook for 3-4 minutes so it absorbs the spices. Cook for about 6-8 minutes if paneer has not been browned previously.
- Add spinach, cover and cook until spinach is thoroughly done.
You can process peeled garlic and ginger to a paste in a blender and add this paste to the pan in step 3.
You omit blanching, add fresh spinach, finely chopped, to the pan in the last step and allow extra time to cook.