In this new global kitchen, it is not impossible to find yucca and plantains - the large green ones used for cooking - either in the grocery store or specialty food shop.
- Cook the hen in the cold water and all the herbs, and salt and pepper, slowly (over a very low heat or in a slow cooker)
- Chop the onions, tomatoes and peppers while hen is cooking. Add to the pot (or slow cooker) along with the garlic.
- Slice the corn and plantains into pieces 1 1/2 inches large, adding them to the pot.
- Chop the remaining vegetables into medium sized pieces, also adding them to the pot.
- Cook until tender.
- Add coriander and parsley near the end. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Adding a little hot pepper gives this dish a little more zip.
Zapallo is the word for squash, zucchini and pumpkin -any of those can be used- and depending on nationality you may use marrow or courgettes.
Instead of chicken, this can also be made with 2 pounds beef brisket or flank steak. Be sure to chop the meat, and increase the amount of vegetables.