The dough for the sausage rolls would probably be made with flour, butter, eggs, water and salt, kneaded and left to rise. Chilled pizza dough, however, is a good enough substitute.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Dust a flat, clean surface with the flour. Place the roll on the floured surface and roll into a 16-inch square.
- Cut the dough into quarters and divide each quarter into 4 squares. Place a sausage on a each square and roll up the dough around it. Brush or spray a baking sheet with vegetable oil and arrange the sausagerolls on the surface.
- Mix the water with the beaten egg and paint the rolls with this mixture.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
The low-fat way to cook the sausages is by steaming or boiling. Fill a pan with enough water to cover the sausage links and bring to a boil, add sausages links then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 8-10 minutes. Drain and put sausages on paper towels to dry.