Savory croûtes are ideal for lunch or supper.
1 egg (beaten)
1⁄2 c milk
4 sli bread (thick slices)
3 T cooking oil
2 T butter
1 onion (thinly sliced or finely chopped)
4 sli bacon (chopped)
1⁄2 pk mushroom (washed and sliced)
4 tomato (peeled and chopped)
seasoning (mixed herbs, salt and pepper to taste)
4 sli cheese (Strong Cheddar)
- Melt the butter in a pan. Fry onion and bacon for a 4-5 minutes, or until the onion is soft and the bacon nearly cooked.
- Add the mushrooms, tomatoes and herbs, if using. Season with salt and pepper. Cook gently 5-10 minutes, until the mushrooms are done and there is no liquid in the pan. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Mix the beaten egg with the milk. Dip each slice of bread into the mixture, coating well each side.
- Fry the bread until golden brown on both sides. Place the slices on an oven tray.
- Heat the broiler.
- Distribute the bacon mixture among the croutes and put a slice of cheese on top of each one.
- Place under the broiler until the cheese melts and becomes golden brown, about 10 minutes.