Make the traditional sweet melon and salty ham appetizer more sophisticated.
- If using gelatin sheets, soak them in water to soften.
- On a very low heat, melt the gelatin in a pan with the Port wine. Remove from heat and add melon juice, mix well.
- Distribute among 4 single containers and chill until set, over 3 hours.
- To get the jelly shapes out of the molds, warm the mold by quick partial immersion into hot or boiling water then turn onto a plate.
- Scatter Serrano ham strips around the melon jelly.
Cut one 3 lb melon into chunks and juice, measure 2 cups of juice.
If you don't have a juicer, dice the melon and process in the blender, then strain the pulp, pressing to obtain the most liquid.
You can substitute gelatin sheets with no flavor gelatin powder dissolved in a little water and the Port. Do not use the microwave to melt gelatin with alcohol.
If you don't have Serrano ham, substitute with prosciutto.