This is a different recipe. It is not shepherd's pie, made with ground lamb, or cottage pie, although it is similar to a cottage pie because both recipes use ground beef.
- Cook ground beef and vegetables in an ovensafe pan.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until soft.
- Add the vermouth to the beef mixture, cook until slightly reduced.
- Add the seltzer and flour to the beef mixture, allow to thicken. Season if necessary.
- Mash the potatoes with the milk and butter. Season if necessary.
- Top the beef mixture with the potatoes, spread evenly.
- Top the potatoes with both cheeses.
- Bake at 375°F for 15 minutes, and then broil for 35 minutes, or until golden.
This recipe was dedicated to Mr. Sheppard.