This dish is raw, though shrimp ceviche has a taste more similar to cooked seafood than raw shrimp, as it would happen with sushi, the perfect treat for the sushi lover in your life.
- Squeeze limes and pour juice into a glass bowl or pan; do not use metal.
- Chop shrimp into 4-5 pieces, depending on size, or slice thin.
- Place the shrimp, onions, red pepper, jalapenos, and parsley and/or cilantro into the glass bowl.
- Allow mixture to sit on the kitchen counter for up to 2 hours. Then refrigerate. Refrigeration is done when the shrimp are pink and opaque.
- Chill for at least an hour, better several hours or overnight.
- Before serving, taste for spiciness. If not hot enough for you, add a few drops of hot pepper sauce.
Ceviche is a dish of finely sliced fish or seafood marinated in citrus fruit juice. The citric acid pickles the fish, effectively “cooking” it without heat.
A ceviche can be served as an appetizer or as main course. Accompany with crackers and serve also a salad on the side.