Have jalapenos always available.
6 lb chili pepper (jalapeños)
5 c vinegar
1 c water
4 t salt
2 T sugar
2 clv garlic
- Wash the peppers.
- If you have small peppers leave them whole, slashing 2-5 slits in each. Quartering the large peppers.
- Blanch in boiling water.
- Flatten out the small peppers.
- Fill half-pint canning jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Combine and heat all the other ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Remove garlic gloves.
- Pour hot solution over peppers, be sure to leave a 1/2 inch head space. Adjust lids.
- Use conventional boiling water canner processing. Process for 10 minutes at below 1000 feet, 15 minutes at 1001 to 6000 feet and 20 minutes above 6000 feet.
Undercooked chiles allow growth of bacteria. It is very important to cook the chiles thoroughly.