Soft pretzels are a popular snack in Philadelphia, sold from vans and bakeries alike. Eat Philadelphia soft pretzels with mustard.
- Heat the oven to 425°F (220°C)
- In a bowl, stir the yeast and warm water together. Add the sugar and salt and mix well.
- Add the two types of flour in small amounts, stirring well after each addition. Keep stirring until the mixture forms into a dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- Place the dough into a bowl greased with olive oil and cover. Allow the dough to rise for 45 minutes in a warm place.
- Cut off pieces of dough and roll into ropes about 10-12 inches (25-30 cm) long. Shape each rope into the traditional pretzel shape.
- Place pretzels on ungreased cookie sheets, brush each one with egg, and then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden.
To knead, press the dough out with your hands, then fold it in half. Give the dough a quarter turn after each fold and start again.
Cover the bowl where the dough will rise with the kitchen towe or film. A draft free place such as a cupboard, the microwave, off, or oven, also off, will do for the dough to rise.
Leave about 2 inches of space around each pretzel. Pretzels will expand in the oven.