Swedish meatballs are cooked in the pan. Serve meatballs with Swedish gravy.
- Soak bread in hot milk until milk is absorbed.
- In a large bowl, Combine soaked bread, meat, eggs, chopped onion, nutmeg, allspice, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Shape into small balls,
- Heat 2 teaspoons lard or shortening in a pan. Brown meatballs for about 2 minutes each side.
- Once browned, reduce heat to low, cover pan, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove meatballs and pour off fat, saving some for the gravy.
- Add cream to the fat remaining in the skillet.
- Mix cornstarch with water then add mixture to the skillet.
- Stir over moderate heat until gravy comes to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
A heaping tablespoon of meat mixture makes about the right size meatball.
It is easier to shape meatballs by hand. The goal is to form round balls about 1 inch (2.5 cm) diameter.
This recipe will yield about 60 meatballs. Keep leftover for the following day or freeze them. Swedish meatballs are delicious warmed up.