This potato, egg and sausage recipe is one of the options for a Swiss supper.
4 potato (large, peeled and cut into small chunks)
1 clv garlic (peeled)
1 pn salt
1⁄2 c milk
4 T butter (unsalted)
1⁄4 t pepper (white pepper)
1 c sausage (sliced smoked sausage)
2 scallion (chopped)
4 T cheese (grated Swiss cheese)
2 T parsley (fresh leaves, finely chopped)
1⁄2 t marjoram (dried marjoram)
- Heat water in a pan. Add potato cubes, garlic and salt. Cover, bring to a boil then simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
- While potatoes cook, preheat oven to 375° F (180° C) and grease a casserole dish.
- Drain potatoes and mash with milk, butter, and white pepper, discarding garlic.
- Mix sausage, green onions, and marjoram, with the potato mash. Place this mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Make 4 deep depressions. Break 1 egg into each depression.
- Bake on oven's middle rack for 15-20 minutes.
- Top casserole with grated cheese. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes more, or until egg whites are firm.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Use the back of a moist soup spoon to make depressions in the potato mash.