DescriptionRussian fried cheese cakes.
20 oz cheese (soft white cheese such as quark, about 2 1/4 cups, drained)
1 1⁄2 T flour
2 egg yolk
1 pn salt
2 t sugar
cooking oil (for frying)
1 c sour cream
- Force the cheese through a sieve and place into the bowl of a food processor.
- Add flour, egg yolk, salt and sugar. Process until a smooth dough is formed.
- Roll the dough into a cylinder about 3 inch (75 mm) thick. Wrap in film and refrigerate for at least 2 hours/
- Once chilled, cut the cheese dough into rounds 3/4 inch (20 mm) thick.
- Heat oil in a skillet over a low heat. Shallow fry cheese cakes in butter, turning once, until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from pan and place onto a plate, dust with confectioner's sugar and serve warm, with some sour cream on the side.
NotesPan fry syrniki in butter for a richer flavor. If you don't have it, substitute quark cheese with the same amount of fromage blanc, or half cottage cheese and half yogurt, or a blend of half cream cheese and half cream.