Delicious Ukranian fried cheese cakes.
- Force the cheese through a sieve and place into the bowl of a food processor.
- Add flour, egg yolk, salt and sugar. Process until a smooth dough is formed.
- Roll the dough into a cylinder about 3 inch (75 mm) thick. Wrap in film and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Once chilled, cut the cheese dough into rounds 3/4 inch (20 mm) thick.
- Heat oil in a skillet over a low heat. Shallow fry cheese cakes, turning once, until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from pan and place onto a plate, dust with confectioner's sugar and serve warm, with some sour cream on the side.
Pan fry syrniki in butter for a richer flavor. If you don't have it, substitute quark cheese with the same amount of fromage blanc, or half cottage cheese and half yogurt, or a blend of cream cheese and cream, same amounts.