A chicken recipe with Chinese inspiration and the spicy taste of Szechuan pepper. White rice is a lovely complement to the flavorful chicken.
- Coat chicken pieces with crushed Szechuan pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan over moderate heat. Brown chicken pieces.
- Add chopped onion and cook until soft but not brown. It will take about 3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken stock, cove and simmer gently for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from the pan and keep warm.
- Reduce pan juices to a glaze. Add the reserved 1/2 cup chicken stock and bring back to the boil.
- Put chicken pieces again into the pan and warm them.
- Add cream and heat gently, stirring continously, until the sauce has thickened a little.
Cook Szechuan peppercorns in a pan over low heat, shaking frequently, for 3-5 minutes, until they release the aroma. Place them in a plastic bag and crush under a rolling pin.
Chicken breas cooks faster than other pieces. Brown chicken legs first, for about 5 minutes, add then breast pieces and continue cooking until chicken pieces are browned on all sides.