This fried rice tastes different from the Chinese version. Fried rice is always a versatile dish because you can incorporate any meats and vegetables you have on hand.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a frying pan or wok at medium high. When it’s hot, add the garlic and onions and cook until tender.
- Next add the rice and stir to heat all the way through. Add the soy and fish sauce and continue to stir until everything is fully combined.
- Next, you can remove the rice from your wok or pan too cook the egg. Or if you prefer, simply heat up a new pan on medium, high heat with vegetable oil. Cook the egg until the white is cooked, but the egg yolk is still a bit soft. When the egg is ready, add it to the rice.
- You can also add the tomato, cucumber slices, and spring onion at this time.
- Keep stirring until all the ingredients are fully combined.
- Get your chosen garnishes ready including the cucumber slices, green onion (if you didn’t cook it into the rice) and a lime wedge.
Of course, if cooked cucumber slices sounds a little strange, even though they are delicious, you can reserve the cucumber for garnish. The same goes for the green onion; add it with the tomato and cucumber slices or, if not everyone likes it, add it when serving.
Garnish with chopped green onion, cucumber slices (we also cook some into the rice, but it’s traditionally a garnish) and lime wedges. This is our version of Thai Fried Rice…feel free to modify it as needed.