Meaty sausages cooked in the oven in a light and crispy batter.
- Heat oven to 425º F.
- Shift flour into a bowl. Make a well in the center and crack the egg into the hole. Season with salt and pepper.
- Begin to whisk the egg into the flour, adding the liquid a little at a time. Whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Arrange the sausages in a roasting pan and place them into the oven. Cook 8-10 minutes.
- Remove sausages from the oven and place the pan on the stove, over direct heat. Add a little oil if the sausages have not released enough fat.
- When the fat is sizzling, pour the batter around the sausages.
- Return the pan to the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, until the batter is crisp and browned.
- Serve straight away with gravy.
For a lighter batter,substitute up to 3 tablespoons milk with the same amount of water. Mix the the water and milk before adding it to the flour and egg mixture.