Think being vegan means you have to give up biscuits altogether? Make sweet potato biscuits. Theses are light and good to accompany a heavy meal.
1 T vinegar
3 1⁄2 c flour (2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour; 1 cup cake flour)
5 t baking powder
4 T sugar
2⁄3 c shortening (vegetable shortening, cold and cut into small pieces)
4 T margarine (vegan margarine, cut into small pieces)
- Place sweet potatoes in Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes (fork tender). Drain. cool completely.
- Place oven rack in the top 1/3 position preheat oven to 450°F.
- Pour vinegar into a liquid measuring cup and add the soy milk.
- Peel sweet potato and force it through the medium disk of a food mill, into a large bowl. Add soy milk and whisk until smooth.
- In a separate, large bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, and sugar.
- Add the shortening and margarine. Cut them into the dry ingredients using a butter knife, until it resembles corn meal.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until a soft, crumbly dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead 8 to 10 times. Only knead enough to keep the dough together.
- Roll dough out into a rectangle 6 by 12 inches.
- Using a knife or a rectangular cookie cutter, cut the dough into 12 biscuits.
- Place the biscuits onto an ungreased insulated baking sheet or doubled regular baking sheets.
- Bake 12-14 minutes, until the biscuits have risen and their edges are lightly browned.