A perfect recipe to introduce venison meat to the novice.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a skillet over a medium heat, melt half the butter and sauté the onion and garluc until soft.
- Increase the heat and add the deer, cook until browned.
- Add tomato paste, chicken broth and the flour, cook and stirring constantly for one minute.
- Mix in the wine and water, then the parsely, thyme, salt, pepper and tarragon. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Boil, drain and mash the potatoes. Stir in the milk and the rest of the butter, add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large greased baking dish, evenly distribute the deer mixture, layer corn and carrots over top, then spread the mash potatoes out covering everything. Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then broil for 2-5 minutes until the top has browned.
Venison meat is leaner than beef as they are reared outdoors and grass fed. It also has a distinctive taste and is not so juicy. This recipe is perfect to enjoy venison, especially the drier cuts.