The basic Wassail hails from Britain where it has been a seasonal favorite for centuries. It's a delightful mixture that comes in a variety of styles.
- Slice up the orange and the lemon into very thin sections, then scatter them around the apple cider, swirling the liquid well.
- Throw in the cinnamon sticks and cloves, then add the allspice.
- Let the mixture set for half an hour to allow the spices to diffuse throughout the drink.
- Then place the liquid over a low flame and heat gradually.
- Simmer for an hour, then allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Serve by pouring through a strainer, then top each cup with a bit of nutmeg.
For a variation with a little kick, add brandy or mead about 5 minutes before done simmering.
This is one of the Christmas drink recipes from around the world.