Welsh cakes are a type of skillet or griddle cakes, or drop scones, very well liked by children. Sprinkle with caster sugar before serving.
- Rub butter into flour until it loosk like breacrumbs then add sugar, mixed spice and currants.
- Incorporate beaten egg and form into a stiff dough. Roll dough until 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes - round is traditional.
- Heat griddle over a medium heat. Rub a little butter.
- Cook each cake for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, rubbing butter on the griddle if necessary.
you can use one cup self-raising flour and omit baking powder.
Do you like them light? Sift the flour before rubbing with butter.