Whiskey and nuts give an entirely different flavor and texture to this common braised beef, making it apt to dazzle the table for any celebration.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Brown the beef cubes. Add crushed garlic and cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Pour in whiskey and broth, incorporate horseradish cream. When it boils, lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 1 hour, until the meat is tender.
- Add shallots and simmer for 30-40 minutes more.
- Mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water and incorporate this to the pan. Let it simmer for 4-5 minutes more, or until the sauce thickens.
- Add the nuts just before serving.
Serve jacket potatoes garnished with cream and chives.
Do not let it boil dry, add a little more beef broth or water if required.
If you don't have shallots, substitute them with small onions.