Soda bread is very simple to make, it is delicious when served still warm from the oven. and, prepared with whole grain flour, it is healthy.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (fan) to 400°F. Dust with whole wheat flour a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix whole wheat flour, salt, and baking soda. Rub in margarine.
- Make a well in the middle. Pour in 1 cup buttermilk, a little at a time, stirring as you add more, until a soft dough forms. If needed, add 2-3 tablespoons buttermilk more - careful, the dough should not be sticky.
- Turn dough onto a lightl floured surface and knead for a couple of minutes.
- Give dough a round shape and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake in the middle rack fro 30-35 minutes or the loaf has risen and taken a light brown color.
- Cool on a wire rack for a few minutes and serve still warm. Cut the bread in slices or wedges, as you prefer.
If the dough has not formed after adding 1 cup buttermilk, try adding 2-3 tablespoons skimmed milk instead of adding extra buttermilk.
For decoration, once the dough is shaped round, cut a cross in the top part of the dough. Sprinkle with flour.
To check if the loaf is done, tap underneath. The bread should sound hollow.
Why not try a cracked pepper soda bread? Just add some freshly ground black pepper together with the flour.
If you would like to make a poppy seed soda bread, stir in 2-3 teaspoons poppy seed once you have rubbed in the margarine.
For a caraway seed whole wheat soda bread, add fresly ground black pepper with the flour and stir in 2-3 teaspoons caraway seeds aftre rubbing margarine in.