Beef cube steak recipes? Try this lean beef steak cubes simmered to tender perfection topped with mustard croutons.
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F (170°C)
- Heat oil in a pan and brown beef cubes for 4-5 minutes. Transfer to an ovenproof casserole dish or Dutch oven.
- Add the vegetables. Season lightly. Pour over the ale and mix in the English mustard.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the beef is tender.
- Prepare the topping while the casserole is in the oven, in the last 30 minutes. To do that, mix the two kinds of mustard and butter and spread over the bread slices.
- To thicken the sauce, mix cornstarch with 1/2 cup of water and add to the casserole 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
The cooking time will depend on the quality of the meat.
This recipe makes good use of the winter root vegetables. Substitute with seasonal vegetables to adapt the recipe. Try onions, mushrooms and butternut squash for an autumn beef casserole, or tender carrots, new potatoes and peas for a spring beef casserole.
if you don;'t have it, substitute English mustard with your favorite smooth hot mustard - English mustard is fiercely hot
If you like your croutons on the crunchy side, take advantage of the warm oven to toast the bread while the casserole is still cooking. Place on a tray and toast in the oven for about 15 minutes.
Serve with potato mash and steamed cabbage for a very satisfying meal.
This recipe is easy to adapt to the slow cooker. Just brown the meat and transfer to the crock-pot. Add the rest of the ingredients with a light hand on seasoning and reducing the amount of liquid. Cook on a low setting for 4-6 hours - check the instructions of your particular slow cooker for accurate cooking time. Prepare the topping apart.
If you omit the topping, this recipe becomes gluten free and dairy free.