The salad for the prosperity toss. This salad is only prepared during the celebrations for the Chinese New Year in Singapore and South Eastern Asia. It is not part of the Chinese traditions.
- Combine plum sauce, lemon Juice, fish sauce, sugar, chicken stock granules, sesame and orange oil.
- Place white pepper, cinnamon, five spice and salt in a small plate.
- Reserve both.
- Arrange shredded radish, carrot, pickled leek, pickled ginger, kaffir lime leaves, roasted peanuts, grapefruit, fried sesame seeds and Chinese crullers on a big flat plate.
- Sprinkle over some Chinese turnip and fried yam strips. Add the thinly sliced smoked salmon.
- Furnish everybody with chopsticks and gather around the salad.
- Sprinkle the spices and garnish.
- Pour over dressing, and start tossing!!
Roasted cashew nuts are just as good as roasted peanuts. Choose white sesame seeds, black sesame seeds or a mix of both, it would not affect your future prosperity.
If you cannot find it, substitute orange oil with a dash of concentrated lime/orange juice.
Vegetables - choose any two of the following:
- sliced cabbage
- unripe green mango, cut into strips
- Chinese turnip, cut into strips
- deep fried stripe yam, which can be colored, or fried vegetable, roughly crushed
- sliced green chili or peppers, cut into fine strips
Seafood - choose one of the following
- thinly sliced smoked salmon
- thinly sliced white fish
- jelly fish
- cooked prawns