Enjoy this German onion pie with a glass of white wine, preferably Riesling. Guten Appetit!!
1⁄2 c flour (all purpose flour)
4 1⁄2 T butter (4 tablespoons for the dough, 1/2 tablespoon for cooking)
1⁄2 t salt (2 pinch)
2 T water (icy cold water)
1 lb onion (thinly sliced)
1⁄2 c bacon (sliced and cut into small pieces)
seasoning (salt and pepper to taste)
3⁄4 c cream ( crème fraîche or heavy cream)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C, gas mark 6)
- Put flour, 4 tablespoons butter, salt and cold water into a bowl. Mix well together until the dough is ready.
- Chill the dough for about 30 minutes in the fridge; it rolls out better after that.
- Roll out the dough flat to about 1/5 of an inch (5 mm) thick and line a round baking pan. Use a fork to prick the bottom of the dough.
- Lightly fry onion and bacon in butter until the onions are glassy. Season the mixture and spread it on the dough. Mix cream and eggs together and pour over the onion-bacon mixture.
- Bake the onion pie for about 30 minutes in the middle rack, until the egg is set and the crust golden brown.
Preparation time includes resting time.
This is similar to a savory tart or quiche.
1 hour, 15 minutes