World of food and wine looks at a fascinating variety of customs and traditions in different countries across the globe, describing how the world cooks, eats, and drinks.
Blueberry cornbread from Maine
Blueberries give a unique sweet flavor to these conrbread.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Mix the flour and cornmeal and stir to combine. Add the sugar, baking powder, and salt then stir again.
- Place the blueberries in a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture and gently toss the flour and the blueberries with a wooden spoon. Set aside.
- Whisk together the milk, oil, honey, and eggs, in a separate bowl.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and stir lightly then fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the batter into a greased baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the bread is a light golden brown.
To prepare a baking pan the Maine way, grease it with vegetable shortening, using a brush or paper towel will keep hands clean.
To prepare the blueberries, wash them in a colander. Pat dry.