Top a croque monsieur with a fried egg and a some béchamel sauce to make a croque madame.
- Take a slice of bread and butter lightly one side. Place ham slice on the buttered side and cheese slice on top of ham. Finish with a second buttered bread slice, butter side down, to make a sandwich. Press firmly to help hold the sandwich together.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter and stir in flour. Cook 1-2 minutes. Add warm whisk thick and creamy. Simmer for 2-3 minutes then add 2 tablespoons grated cheese and season with pepper. Keep warm, but do not boil.
- Fry sandwiches in butter until golden and crisp on both sides. Leave them rest on kitchen paper to soak excess fat.
- Fry eggs in a second pan.
- Place a fried egg on top of each cooked sandwich. Pour cheese sauce over each of them and serve hot.
Use a full fat cheese of your choice.
Serving size: 1/2 of a recipe (10.5 ounces, 310 grams).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.