Finish off your Irish dinner with apple and barley pudding.
4 T barley (pearl barley)
1 1⁄2 lb apple (peeled, cored and sliced)
3 T sugar
1 c cream (heavy cream)
1 T lemon juice
2 c water (approximate)
- In a small pot over medium-high heat, bring barley and water to a boil.
- Add the apples and cook until they begin to soften. They need to be soft enough to blend well, but no so soft that they lose their flavor.
- Drain the water off and blend the apples with a hand mixer.
- Next add the sugar and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool.
Once cooled, add the cream to the top and chill until ready to serve.