Not your usual stuffing, but equally delicious. It is worth a try.
- Place apricots in a bowl and cover in boiling water. Soak.
- Heat butter in a pan. Fry onion and celery gently until soft but not brown.
- Drain apricots, reserving the liquid. Chop.
- Remove pan from heat. Add breadcrumbs, hazelnuts, chopped apricots and lemon rind. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix well. Allow to cool before filling cavities in the bird or meat.
The apricots should release enough liquid to keep the stuffing together. If the mixture appears to be dry, add some of the liquid reserved.
This recipe should yield enough stuffing for a 4-5 lb chicken, the size to feed about 6 people.