The rolls can be prepared twenty-four hours in advance. Merely keep them covered in the fridge and bake prior to serving.
- Bring apricots and water to the boil in a small pan. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar and vanilla extract.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC) or moderate.
- Roll bread slices thin with rolling pin. Distribute apricot mixture among bread slices, spreading evenly.
- Roll each slice diagonally - from corner to corner - and hold in place with a toothpick.
- Place rolls onto a baking pan. Brush with melted butter and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove toothpicks, dust with confectioner's sugar and serve with ice cream.
Remove toothpicks, dust with confectioner's sugar and serve with ice cream.
Rolled bread slices freeze well and will keep for up to two months. Reheat in oven at 325ºF (160º) until warm.