This asparagus couscous salad is not only healthy but quick.
- Place carrots, frozen peas and asparagus in a pan of boiling water and cook for approximately 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil and add the onion and cook for approximately 2 to 4 minutes until tender. Set aside.
- Cook couscous according to package instructions but replace the indicated amount of water with the same amount of vegetable broth.
- Once the couscous is ready fluff with a fork and transfer to pan with onions and cooked vegetables.
- Add a little soy sauce and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Substitute couscous with the same amount of rice, measured dry, or 2 cups cooked rice for an asparagus and rice Oriental salad.
This type of salad is great for a buffet or potluck dinner as it could stand longer at room temperature than salads with a mayonnaise or cream based dressing.