A potato curry very popular as side dish in Indian menus.
2 T cooking oil (clarified butter or vegetable oil)
1 onion (peeled and chopped)
1 T garam masala
4 tomato (washed and chopped)
2⁄3 c liquid (boiling vegetable broth or water)
1 2⁄3 lb potato (already peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes)
1⁄2 t chili powder (optional)
coriander (chopped fresh leaves, garnish)
- Heat the oil in a pan over a moderate heat. Fry the onions until softened, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garam masala and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes and broth. Bring to the boil.
- Stir in the potato cubes and chili powder, if using. Simmer until tomato and potatoes are tender, 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve Bombay potatoes warm.
Substitute tomatoes with 1 can chopped tomatoes (16 oz can)