Oatmeal is a great thickener, preferred over flour or pureed veggies. This leek and oatmeal soup is an Irish classic.
1 T butter (melted)
1⁄4 c oatmeal
5 c milk (better whole)
1 pn mace (ground)
2 t salt (or to taste)
1 t pepper (or to taste)
3 c leek (sliced)
1 T parsley (fresh leaves, chopped)
1⁄2 c crouton (to garnish)
- Heat the melted butter in a pot and add the oatmeal.
- Stir over a low heat until the oatmeal begins to brown and you can smell the toasting.
- Add the milk and season with the pepper, salt and mace to taste.
- Add the leeks and simmer slowly for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped parsley just before serving.