Serve Brunswick stew with some bread. This hearty chicken stew is a complete meal and there is no need of any other side dish.
- Place chicken and bacon, if using, in a casserole or large pan and cover with water. Add sugar and bouquet garni if using. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 45-60 minutesr or until chicken is almost tender. Remove chicken from the pan and reserve.
- Bring liquid back to the boil, if necessary, add then chopped onion, sliced celery, chopped tomatoes, shelled broad beans, and diced potatoes. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until beans are tender, stirring frequently.
- Add sweetcorn and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Return chicken to the pan and simmer for about 15 minutes, until thoroughly tender and warmed.
- If using, remove bacon from the pan. Discard bone, skin and fat and shred meat. Return shredded meat to the pan.
- Check seasoning and serve warm.
Add a little water if the stew seems too thick.
As Brunswick stew takes long to prepare, cook double and keep some for another meal. The finished dish is suitable for home freezing if potatoes are omitted and the chicken pieces are returned to the liquid, and the dish allowed to cool and frozen then. The stew can be defrosted and finished off by adding the potatoes, boiled and even mashed, on the next occasion. There will be no noticeable difference.