Each region in Belgium have their own waffle recipe, even if the main ingredients remain the same. Some are served with chocolate, some with fruit and some have secret ingredients. This recipe comes from Brussels.
- Melt the butter in a large pan. Add warm milk and sparkling water.
- Add beaten eggs to the pan and then incorporate the flour, stirring and whisking briskly to prevent lumps.
- Add the sugar while still beating.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the mixture and mix in, then mix the salt.
- Let the batter rise in a warm place until it has doubled in size.
- Heat the waffle iron and grease with a little oil.
- Follow the insturctions to pour the batter and cook the waffles until golden brown.
Waffles can be served on their own, with fruit or a sauce. Chocolate sauce goes well with waffles.
Add a little vanilla extrat to the batter to improve the taste. Alternatively, substitute the sugar with vanilla flavored sugar.