Cumin and coriander immediately bring the flavor of the Middle East to your kitchen and chickpeas are typical of their cuisine.
- Drain the liquid and wash the chickpeas under running water. Wash the mushrooms and cut in two to four pieces, depending on size.
- Saute onion and celery in 4 tablespoons of olive oil until the onion becomes translucent; it will take about 3 minutes. Add cumin and coriander, stir; add the chopped mushrooms almost immediately.
- Add chickpeas and stir to mix.
- Cover with water, bring to the boil, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Process in the blender then adjust salt and pepper. Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil on each bowl.
The idea of adding celery and mushrooms came from one of these recipes cards that you pick up in supermarkets and grocery stores. The original recipe card was lost a long time ago, but this version of their recipe has been a success many times.