You can cook Arkansas rice in the most delicious ways.
- Add chocolate to milk. Heat slowly until the chocolate has melted and it is steaming but not boiling.
- Mix together the sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Pour in the warm chocolate milk and stir until spices are well blended. Take to the boil on the top of a double boiler and boil for 2 minutes. Cover, turn the heat to low and simmer for 5-7 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Pour a small amount of hot spiced chocolate milk in a bowl, allow it to cool slightly and whisk in the egg yolks.
- Incorporate the egg mixture to the chocolate milk in the double boiler, cover, and simmer on low heat for 4-5 minutes, until the custard thickens without boiling. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Sitr in cooked rice and then incorporate vanilla and butter. Cover and let it stand for about 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or allow it to cool, refrigerate and serve chilled.
If you don't have cooking chocolate, mix 2 heaped teaspoons of hot chocolate powder with 2 cups of milk, or use ready made chocolate milk.
If using the microwave for step 2, heat chocolate milk on high to boiling point, and then cook for 3 minutes on low. Let milk stand for 2 minutes. Use a container hihg enough. For step 4, microwave on low for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds or so, and let the custard stand for about 2 minutes. Times may vary depending on the microwave.