A flavorful recipe for chicken that does not need any more than steamed potatoes on the side.
- Place sliced onion, celery and carrot, garlic, peppercorns and wine into a saucepan. Simmer for 5 minutes. Cool.
- Place chicken pieces in a bowl. Pour wine mixture over. Drizzle with the oil.
- Cover and marinate in the fridge for 12-18 hours.
- Strain marinade reserving both liquid and vegetables. Pat chicken dry.
- Heat oil and butter in a casserole dish. Fry bacon until crisp and remove.
- Brown chicken pieces and onion and remove.
- Cook mushrooms and remove.
- Remove fat leaving only 2 Tbs. Add marinated vegetables and cook until soft over a low heat.
- Sprinkle flour over and cook for 2 minutes to make a roux.
- Add chicken stock and marinade to the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper, chopped garlic, shallots and bouquet garni.
- Add chicken pieces, cover and simmer until tender then remove.
- Strain sauce. Add blanched onions and cook until soft. Add mushrooms and simmer until sauce has thickened.
- Return chicken pieces and bacon to the casserole for a 4-5 minutes to warm.
This recipe is perfect to take advantage of not so young and tender but so much cheaper chicken. It takes time to prepare coq au vin, but the results are worth it.