This Mexican sweet treat is often called “Milk Fudge” because of its consistency. As with regular fudge, it can be made with or without nuts. It’s rich and creamy and simple to make, though it does take several hours to prepare. It is often found cut into medium size squares but can also be rolled into logs and sliced into candy-size pieces.
- Line a 9 x 9 inch square pan or pie pan with wax paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a pan over medium heat, bring 2 1/2 cups of milk, sugar, vanilla extract and baking soda to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer and stir until the temperature reaches 240°F on a candy themometer. Watch this step closely as under cooking or overcooking can keep it from setting up properly.
- Add 1 1/2 cups whole milk and chopped pecans. Mix well.
- Immediately pour into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Let it cool down. About 1 hour into the cooling stage, add the remaining whole pecans as garnish.
- Allow to cool a minimum of 2 hours, better overnigight, before cutting into squares.
Because the candy base is simply sweetened milk, you can add any number of ingredients to make it your own. Here are some options you might want to try.
Vary the flavor by adding any of the following:
- 5 Tablespoons cocoa powder, chocolate milk mix or hot chocolate mix
- 1 Tablespoons lime juice and 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 teaspoons French vanilla coffee creamer
- 2 Tablespoons cold coffee
- 1 Tablespoon tequila or your favorite liquor
- Use coconut milk instead of whole milk
- Cinnamon to taste
- Apple pie spice to taste
- Pumpkin pie spice to taste
You may need to adjust the liquid in the main recipe.
Create a layered version by dividing the recipe into two portions, or making two full recipes, and flavoring each portion differently. Then pour one flavor on top of the other before cooling. You could even add a few drops of food coloring to distinguish one layer from the other.
Some flavor mixes you might enjoy:
- Vanilla Latte: French vanilla + coffee
- Margarita: lime + tequila
- Chocolate Macaroon: coconut + chocolate
- Apple Pie A la Mode: Apple pie spice + French vanilla