Avgolemono, as this delicate egg and lemon soup is known, is probably the favorite soup in Greece. It is usually served as starter in Greek celebrations.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil, stir in rice, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
- While rice is cooking, beat eggs and lemon juice together.
- Remove pan from the heat. Add carefully 2 cups hot broth to the egg and lemon mixture, a little at a time. Whisk constantly.
- Add the egg mixture to the remaining broth and rice and stir to mix.
- Distribute soup in soup bowls. Garnish with a thin slice of lemon, floating on top, and finely chopped parsley.
If you add the broth too quickly or don't keep whisking, the eggs will curdle. Be careful to add the hot broth slowly to the eggs, a little at a time, while beating non-stop. You will not regret the effort.
For a creamy variation, add 1/4 cup heavy cream to the egg and lemon mixture.
Substitute rice with same amount orzo, if preferred.