Use your favorite greens in this recipe. Any of collard greens, kale, pointed cabagge, Swiss chard or tender stem broccoli is good.
- Heat oil in a pan. If using, cook chili for a moment, to flavor the oil, and remove. Add garlic and onions and cook until soft. If using, cook sausages together with the garlic and onions.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 5-6 minutes while crushing and breaking them.
- Add wine or balsamic and simmer until the sauce is thick, about 20-25 minutes.
- Fold the greens into the tomato sauce. Cook until just soft, about 10 minutes although the time will vary a little depending on your choice of greens.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve over cooked pasta, cooked rice or a jacket potato.
If you like it hot, add a little more chili. Chop it finely and do not remove it from the pan.
If you do not like concentrated flavors, halve the amount of wine, or balsamic vinegar, and add it to the pan just before the greens.
Regarding the sausages, you can remove the skin, or use sausage meat formed into balls, for a smoother sauce. Of course, for a vegetarian dish, omit sausages altogether. If serving over pasta or rice, boil in water while preparing the sauce.
For 4 people, you will need 2 cups pasta or 1 cup rice, measured dry. Garnish with 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese.