This Italian style zucchini makes a comforting dish to bake or finish under the broiler.
- Bring water to the boil in a pan. Add a little salt and the zucchini. Boil for 5 minutes and drain.
Prepare the sauce
- Melt butter in a pan and stir in flour. Cook for 2 minutes over a moderate heat.
- Pour in milk, gradually, stirring continuously until the sauce boils. Cook for 5 minutes and season to taste.
- Add half of the grated cheese and cook, stirring constantly, until the cheese blends in.
Bring all together
- Place the zucchini into a greased ovenproof dish and pour over the sauce.
- Top with the tomato slices and sprinkle the other half of the grated cheese.
- Place under the broiler and cook until the cheese melts and begins to brown -alternately bake for 30 minutes in an oven pre-heated to 400°F (200ºC).
2 cups diced zucchini is about 1 lb whole. Wash and cut zucchini into 1 1/2 inch chunks.