Leeks need to be cooked in advance. Trim the top, cut the roots at the bottom, wash, and steam or boil them before getting on with this recipe.
8 sli bacon (streaky bacon)
8 leek (washed and trimmed)
water (to cook leeks)
2 T cheese (optional, grated Cheddar)
salt (to taste)
- Steam or boil leeks until nearly done.
- Preheat oven grill to high, or the oven to 400° F (200° C).
- Roll a slice of bacon, diagonally, around each leek and place them in a shallow slightly greased oven dish.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese if using.
- Grill for 10 minutes, turning once, or bake in the middle rack for 20 minutes, until the bacon is crispy cheese top is brown.
- Serve straight away.