Lentils make a delicious hearty soup or a vegetarian main, if served with rice, and the recipe could not be easier.
- Place lentils in a saucepan together with the bay leaf, cover with water and simmer for 1-2 hours, depending on the kind of lentils used.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the chopped onion and cook until it begins to turn light brown. Add the paprika, stir quickly, and add this mix to the soup.
- Add the sliced carrots to the pan when the lentils begin to soften.
- Season towards the end.
If using the pressure cooker, place all ingredients and cook for 20-40 minutes, about 1/3 of the time needed if using a normal pan; season, then, after opening, once the lentils are done.
Doubled the recipe and freeze half to serve with rice another day. Leftovers? Make lentil and rice puree. You will need:
- lentil soup
- 1/2 cup rice
- 2-4 cups broth
- Take to the boil plenty of water, add salt. Cook the rice in the boiling water for 15 minutes, drain.
- In the meantime, heat the lentils.
- Puree the lentils and 1/2 the cooked rice, adding broth until the texture is right.
- Season and serve warm with the other half of the rice on the side.
The addition of rice softens pleasantly the flavor of the lentil soup. The taste improves even more incorporating a little milk or 1 Tbs butter, level, at the last minute.