A delicious and light dessert that is easier to prepare than many may believe. It needs a long time in the oven, tough.
- Heat the oven to 250-300º F. lightly damp greaseproof paper or foil and cut it to the size and shape of the pavlova.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff and frothy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until thick.
- Sprinkle cornflour and vinegar. Fold in.
- Spread the mix onto the prepared paper with a spoon.
- Bake in the oven at low temperature for 2 hours.
Use a pastry bag to spread the mix on the prepared paper giving it a fancy design.
The pavlova is usually topped with fruit, and it may have also whipped cream. In Australia, sometimes it is topped with mango.
Use fine brown sugar to give the pavlova a golden hue.
Add some powdered cacao to make a chocolate pavlova.