A delicious fruit pie to take advantage of ripe summer peaches.
2 T butter (unsalted)
1⁄2 c sugar (granulated)
1⁄2 c brown sugar
2 t lemon juice
1 t lemon zest (finely grated)
1⁄4 t allspice
1⁄4 t nutmeg (grated)
1⁄4 t salt
1 T ginger (minced crystalized ginger)
6 c peach (about 3 lb peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced)
- Combine all ingredients except butter and pie dough in a bowl to make the fruit filling, and allow to sit for 15 minutes before pouring into pie dough.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Rack should be in the center position.
- Turn your fruit mix out into the pie dough, including the juices. Scatter the butter pieces over the fruit. Refrigerate until ready to use the top dough.
- Roll out the top piece of dough and place over the pie pan (fruit and dough bottom) trim the edges if needed to 1/2 inch beyond the pan lip. Tuck this underneath itself, so that the folded edges are flush with the pans lip. Flute the edges with a fork, by pressing the prongs down around the edges. Cut 4 slits on the top of the pie. If the pie dough feels soft, place in the freezer for 10 minutes. It is at this time that the pies can be frozen (cover with plastic wrap) for up to 6 weeks.
- Place pie onto a baking sheet. And bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top crust is golden, not golden brown, in color.
- Reduce oven to 350° F and bake an additional 30-40 minutes, until the juices bubble and the crust is a golden brown in color.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1-2 hours. Allowing the juices time to thicken. Serve the same day you bake it.