The bread machine can help to prepare the dough for the pretzels.
1 c beer
1 T butter
2 T sugar (white sugar)
1 t salt
3 c flour (all purpose flour)
3⁄4 T yeast (dry active yeast)
1 egg (beaten)
1 T water (warmed)
2 T salt (kosher salt)
- In the same order as above, put the first six ingredients in the baking pan. Start the dough/pasta setting on your bread machine.
- Lightly flour a flat surface and place the dough on it once the cycle has completely finished. If the dough is not handling easily, knead a little more flour into it.
- Take a rolling pin and roll the dough out into a rectangle that measures approximately 14x9 inches. Next, cut 18 strips (14x1/2 inch) out of the dough with a sharp knife.Take each strip and stretch (gently) out until they are all 16 inches long. Roll the strips so they are no longer flat.
- Shape each rope strip into a pretzel by taking the ends and curving them to form a circle. Then, at the top, cross the ends, twist together and place downwards touching the bottom of the circle.
- Put each pretzel on a greased baking sheet, but do not let them rise!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg with water and brush mixture on each of the pretzels. Top off the pretzels with a small amount of kosher salt. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Take pretzels off of the baking sheet and cool on a wire rack before serving.