Roast potatoes are the perfect side dish for any roast meat as they cook at the same time than the main course.
- Bring water and salt to the boil in a saucepan. Add potatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Put the fat in a roasting pan. Heat it up.
- Drain potatoes and pat dry. Add to the pan and turn to coat with the fat.
- Cook for 1 hour. Baste occasionally.
- When they are done, transfer carefully to a warm serving dish. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Garnish with herbs if desired.
When cooking the potatoes at the same time as the roast they cook at lower temperature than usual Remember to reduce cooking time if you roast them at higher temperature.
Move the potatoes to a higher shelf in the oven when you get the roast out.
If you add small sausages, small chipolatas are good, to the pan half the cooking time, they will be ready with the potatoes and you have an extra side dish.