Shepherdess' pie, the meat free version of shepherd's pie. It is suitable for vegan and vegetarians.
- You can either boil your potatoes in their skins, or without, in lightly salted water until tender, drain.
- Peel potatoes and mash well. Mix in seasonings and olive oil.
- Saute the onion, pepper, garlic and carrots in the sunflower oil for 5 minutes. They should be soft
- Add mushrooms and beans, sauteing for an additional 2 minutes. Pour in the stock, add the yeast extract, bay leaves, and herbs, simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- In a shallow oven proof dish, pour the vegetables in, and dollop the mashed potatoes over top. Fill in the entire dish. Sprinkle nut over top and broil until golden brown in color.
You can use the potatoes, olive oil and seasoning to make a vegan friendly mashed potato side, instead of making the entire pie.