This shrimp Creole recipe includes the typical Creole foundation of onion, celery, and bell pepper with a tomato sauce simmered to the desired thickness.
- Melt 6 tablespoons butter in 3 quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of each onion, celery and pepper for later. Add onion, celery and pepper and saute 10 minutes.
- Add tomato puree, tomatoes, bay leaves, oregano, thyme and seafood seasoning to taste and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Stir in stock and bring to boil. reduce heat and simmer until sauce begins to thicken, about 45 minutes. remove from heat and strain; discard vegetables.
- Melt remaining butter in large saute pan over medium heat. Add reserved 1/2 cup onion, sprinkle wit sugar and saute until golden brown.
- Add reserved 1/2 cup celery and pepper and saute an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat, stir in reserved sauce and simmer gently 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook just until heated through.
Serve shrimp Creole immediately over steamed rice.